Breast Augmentation procedures are performed at our Certified Chester Surgery Center and Morristown Medical Center.
Breast Augmentation is a procedure to enhance the size and shape of a woman’s breast. This is done for a variety of reasons:
- To enhance the breasts of a woman who feels her breasts are too small; Hypomastia.
- To correct the reduction that may occur in breast volume after pregnancy: Post Partum Involution
- To balance breasts that have different sizes: correct breast asymmetry
- To the breasts after a previous breast surgery.
Click here to see select before and after photos of Dr. Weinstein’s Breast Augmentation (A Cup to B Cup) cases.
“Mrs. New Jersey Breast Augmentation from Dr. Weinstein”
“I am a very happy patient of Dr. Weinstein. Dr. Weinstein
is truly top notch.”
A woman’s bust line can be enhanced by a half, one or more cup sizes, by simply adding an implant behind each breast. There are a variety of implant options available and Dr. Weinstein will help you choose which option is most suitable for you and the results you want. Please bring a tight sports bra with you to your consultation to try on the different sizes and shapes of implants that are offered at Weinstein Plastic Surgery Center. The Vectra three dimensional imaging assessment and breast implant visualization is available.
Who is a candidate for Breast Augmentation?
The best candidates for breast augmentation are those who are looking to improve the shape and size of their breasts. Those who are physically healthy and have realistic expectations are qualified candidates. Before you decide to have surgery, Dr. Weinstein will talk with you to go over your expectations and determine if you are a good candidate for this procedure.
What are the risks of a Breast Augmentation?
- Sensation - Slight changes in sensation or loss of sensation near the incision. Some women also report that their nipples become oversensitive, under sensitive, or even numb. These symptoms are rarely permanent, and disappear with time.
- Capsular Contracture - Occurs if the pocket around the implant tightens and squeezes the breast implant which can cause the breast to feel hard. This is rare with dual plane or submuscular placement of implants, and maybe avoided with massages on a regular basis.
- Bleeding - Just like any surgical procedure, rarely bleeding may follow after the operation and cause swelling and pain.
- Fertility – Breast implants will not affect your ability to nurse, pregnancy, or fertility.
- Leaking Implants – Rupture of the implants can occur as a result of injury. Dr. Weinstein has a rupture rate of less than 1% per year. If a saline filled implant breaks, the water will be harmlessly absorbed in the body. However, if a gel implant breaks, it may require a second operation. The new generation of silicone implants have a lower incidence of rupture as they have higher viscosity and thicker shells. The Silicone has gummy bear quality and stays in place.
- Cancer – There is no evidence that breast implants cause breast cancer. They may affect the way the mammography is done to detect cancer, but it does not cause cancer. When you get a mammography, be sure to inform the technicians that you have implants as additional views may be required. Today MRI appears to be the best study to detect leakage of implants or a breast lesion.
Click here to see select before and after photos of Dr. Weinstein’s Breast Augmentation (B Cup to C Cup) cases.
These risks and side effects are very rare, and most women do not experience these complications. However, you should discuss them with Dr. Weinstein before your procedure.
What happens in a Breast Augmentation consultation?
In your initial consultation, Dr. Weinstein or his nurse will first evaluate your health. Be sure to tell them if you are smoking, taking medications, vitamins or other drugs. If you do smoke, he will recommend that you stop smoking as that will help you heal and recover more effectively.
He will then discuss the surgical techniques that will best suit you based on your breast size and skin tone. In this consultation, make sure to express your expectations. He will describe the risks and limitations of each alternative and provide you with information for each implant he may use, so that you can be fully informed. One of the patient care coordinators will go over the cost of the procedure with you. However, because most insurance agencies do not consider a breast augmentation a necessity, this procedure is not covered.
What happens on the day of a Breast Augmentation operation?
Dr. Weinstein and his staff will provide instructions for you to prepare for your surgery, which will include what you can eat and drink and what medications should be avoided. Dr. Weinstein usually performs the breast augmentation procedure at
- Morristown Medical Center where he usually has an anesthesiologist give local with sedation or general anesthesia
- Chester Surgery Center for adjustments or minor augmentations under local or with sedation.
It is important that you arrange for someone to drive you home from the hospital and assist you for the day after surgery. Dr. Weinstein and his staff would like to meet your significant other to instruct them on post-operation instructions to insure that you have the best possible recovery.
General Anesthesia is used, so you will be asleep for the entire operation. Then, the implant is inserted through a small incision in the crease where the breast meets the chest. If patients do not have that crease, then an incision is made around the areola (dark skin around the nipple). In order to keep scars as inconspicuous as possible, every effort is made to keep the incision small and out of sight.
What happens after a Breast Augmentation surgery?
After your surgery, you will most likely feel sore and tired for a few days. However, you will be able to move around within 24-48 hours. Dr. Weinstein will give you medication to control the pain.
Within a few days after surgery, you should be able to return to work, depending on the activity required at your job. Dr. Weinstein will give you advice on when to go back to normal activities and exercise.
If you have gauze dressings, they will be removed within several days, and you will be given a surgical bra. This should be worn as directed by Dr. Weinstein of New Jersey. Stitches will be removed within 7-10 days. Your breasts will be swollen and may take 3-5 weeks before you see the final volume. Scars maybe pink and firm for about 6 weeks. They will begin to fade after several months.
A New You
Many women find the results of a breast augmentation very satisfying, even exhilarating. Make sure to meet with your plastic surgeon so he can examine your new breasts. Also, examine your breasts by yourself monthly, and schedule routine mammograms from a gynecologist. Dr. Weinstein does yearly examinations of his breast augmentation patients to check the integrity of the implant, to check for firmness, breast tissue and axillae for adenopathy (swelling).
Breast Augmentation Testimonials
“I am very pleased with the professionalism and courtesy displayed by your office. The breast augmentation procedure that you completed exceeded my expectations” – EAC Seabright , NJ
“My whole experience at Weinstein Plastic Surgery Center has been great from day one, and I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to recommend them to anyone who was looking for a great staff, office and Doctor.” – KD NJ